If you need to move your office, one of the necessary parts of moving is ensuring the perfect installation both computers, servers, printers, and telephony. The change of office location must be done with forethought because you have to make transfer structured network cabling Switchboard, Switchboard programming, moving CPD and servers, transfer of telephone lines, etc
The transfer of a server room of a company is long and complicated and requires great foresight to coordinate all the processes. The tasks of moving companies are always harder than it seems because it has to transfer switchboard, computer and of course the furniture, so it is necessary to coordinate several groups for specialized tasks.
This article may not be able to tell you everything you need to know about how to move a data center successfully. However, these tips can help you significantly improve your chances of success. In fact, the following recommendation can make a big difference when it comes to replacing a data center.
Like with almost all tasks, planning is the key to success. Ensure that 75% of your time is devoted to discovery and planning and 25% execution of the move. Success with moving server room is not just a matter of planning. It is also about the level of detail and scope of your plans.
Data center relocation should be treated like any other large IT project. Porting a server room is also high-risk, very expensive and labor intensive. To prevent falls, confusion, and costs, you need to treat it with the same care as if it were any other important and high priority IT projects.
Go the extra mile in tasks such as labeling, scheduling downtime of applications and technology upgrade.
A successful project data center relocation should include:
- Detailed methodology associated with server room relocation. This task covers the goals, details, deliveries and steps before, during and after the move itself.
- Executive Patronage. You need strong internal experts to help the assigned team with the challenges of data center relocation budget, operational and political.
- The right people. You need an experienced project manager DCR DCR and a dedicated team to ensure success. When necessary, seek external expertise or advice. It may also be a need to replace or reassign the key positions of infrastructure. You need to coordinate with different teams managing applications, infrastructure, equipment, external suppliers and end users.
Tasks involved in relocating data center.
- Transfer server. Perhaps it is the most critical and sensitive part; technicians should move servers carefully to avoid sudden movements, bumps. Each unit should be properly packed so that they will be protected during the transfer.
- Move computers, laptops, printers, photocopiers, and any related computer peripherals.
- Equipment labeling of minor equipment such as monitor, keyboard, mouse, phone and system units.
- Installation of computers and peripherals. Computers and telephone installation in each of the tables can be made easier thanks to the previous label placed
- Electrical and network wiring. The electrical outlets and local area network cables and outlets should have been prepared before the move.
- Server connection in the server rack. The entire server system should have been tested before the move.
- Moving the switchboard. It is the most critical step because the task depends on the telephone or any other operator to make the change. A month earlier, you must contact the operator to notify the change of location, and request the transfer of the lines, both analog and digital.
- Reprogramming PBX. In many cases, the move is linked to a restructuring of the company, so extensions may not correspond to the usual number assigned for each line.
- Moving ADSL line data. The line should be thoroughly checked to ensure the correct operation of the network.
Some companies can check the network cabling structure of your new business or office before performing moving your computers and servers. They can also perform installations of new structured cabling and electricity. Even though there are specialized companies that can do it for you, it is still better that you know the basics of relocating a data center.